Monday, December 17, 2007
Russian subtitles in mplayer
After a few attempts, I successfully made Russian subtitles to work correctly in mplayer. Here how it works:
- Download Cyrillic bitmap fonts from mplayer site (there are other collections there that might work as well);
- Unpack anywhere you want;
- Edit font.desc file, removing references to non-existing font files;
- Download (for instance, from here) or prepare subtitles (I used .srt file) in Windows (1251) encoding;
- Run mplayer like that:
gmplayer -font <full path to font.desc> -sub <full path to .srt file> ...
- Don't forger that mplayer saves its options in ~/.mplayer directory and re-uses them by default, so on your next invocation either use your "default" parameter like -font /usr/local32/share/mplayer/font/font.desc, or remove relevant files from ~/.mplayer .